Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving Planning Tool for UM-Flint Units
This document is intended to clarify the goals of your department/program and to provide information about the assets available to achieve those goals. Completing this tool will assist University Advancement to identify the initial steps needed to assist you in your efforts. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have about this tool.
With regard to engaging alumni, please list the top three goals for your unit. Please provide any details that will help us understand the strategic reasoning behind these goals.
Please answer the following questions related to your department's/program's communications efforts.
1. Does your department/program currently publish any regularly scheduled print or electronic communications? (Newsletters, email announcements, etc.)
a. If you answered yes, who is responsible for this work?
2. Does your department maintain any lists of alumni emails, mailing addresses, etc.?
a. If you answered yes, do you provide updates to Alumni Relations?
3. Does your department's/program's website have the following? Select all that apply.
A link for alumni to update their contact/employment information
A link for donors to give to your department
A section featuring alumni stories or testimonials
A calendar of upcoming events
Events are a significant aspect of alumni engagement. Please answer these questions about your department’s/programs's events.
1. If your department/program hosts regular or signature events, please list those here along with a brief description of the event. If possible, please include the date or time of year that these events take place. (day/month) or (spring, summer, fall, winter)
2. Please list any significant upcoming milestones for your department such as faculty retirements, department anniversaries, new programs, etc.
1. Do you have specific annual giving solicitation ideas in mind for the upcoming year?
a. If you answered yes, please provide any details that will help us understand the strategy behind these solicitations.
2. Please list any specific audiences you wish to target with annual giving activities in the future. (young alumni, specific degree programs, etc.)
Resources to engage alumni come from a variety of places including University Advancement, dean’s offices, academic departments, the University of Michigan Alumni Association, and others. Please answer the following questions related to the resources that your department expects to invest in the engagement of alumni.
1. Are there any faculty/staff within your department/program that have a portion of their time allocated to working on alumni engagement activities?
a. If you answered yes, who is the person and what percentage of their time dedicated to these efforts?
% of their time
b. If you answered no, do you expect to assign this responsibility to someone in the future?
2. Campus leaders play a significant role in the success of alumni engagement activities. Are any faculty/staff within your department/program perceived as “being connected” to alumni that could help our efforts? If so, please list the faculty/staff member’s name(s).
3. What resources do you feel are most needed to successfully achieve the goals you have for your alumni engagement activities? (Rank 1-6 with 1 being the most important.)
a. Alumni engagement planning assistance
b. Financial resources
c. Communications assistance
d. Event assistance
e. Alumni data/information (Addresses, emails, geographic distribution, etc.)
4. Has your department/program appropriated any financial resources to directly support the engagement of alumni or annual giving activities?
a. If you answered yes, how much has the department/program budgeted for this purpose in the current fiscal year?
b. If you answered no, do you expect budget for alumni engagement in the future?
i. If you answered no to question b above, where are you expecting resources to come from for these efforts?
Please use this section to include any additional information or comments you feel are important in planning to engage your alumni.
Need assistance with this form?